The electric company came out to my house on Thursday and commissioned my solar panels. In the past 48 hours, I have generated 86 kWh. Daryl and I are comparing our panels’ production and giving each other “the business” when one of us springs ahead in the race. He gets more output in the morning and I get more in the evening. On my first full day, I beat him by just about 1 kWh. This morning is a bit cloudy, so he called off the competition for now. Spoil sport!

Now bring on those bills and let me see how much I’m saving.

Early Saturday morning, this truck pulled up and out jumped a crew of energetic guys ready to install my solar system.

They went right to work setting and securing the mounts on the roof.

The crew leader spent a good part of the day installing the inverter. It was placed in the garage between the water heater and the refrigerator.

When they left at about 2:30, all the roof mounts were in and the inverter was ready for hookup. They promised to be back at 6:00 the next morning.

True to their word, they were all there before I had finished my first cup of coffee. I sipped while watching the “Panel Parade” go by, from the truck to the back yard.

Thirty three panels in all were stacked against the wall ready to be lifted one by one to the crew on the roof.

 

Up to the roof they went, and into place on the mounts. They took great care with them, leveling each one to make a completely smooth surface.

  

Notice the guy on the left side of the picture on the right, lying down looking across the panels while the other guy makes adjustments.

The most exciting moment of the day was when they turned the system on for a few minutes to check everything out. Power generation bounced around between 5.7-5.8 KW during the hottest part of the day. I ran outside to the electric meter and it was running backwards! That was really fun to see.

Thirty three panels in all, capable of generating 8KW of power. This should supply ~98% of my annual power needs, and save me around $30,000 over the next 20 years.

Next up is SRP’s inspection and approval to turn the system on and start saving money. That can take anywhere from 2-4 weeks.

 While the installation was going on, I also had workmen in my master bathroom doing some remodeling to my tub/shower. I’ll blog about that when it is complete, hopefully by next weekend. But that’s what all the mess is from on the back porch.

Bad Behavior has blocked 57 access attempts in the last 7 days.